Questions for Guppy Sex and Gluttony Guided by Orange Glow
by Virginia Morell Science. Volume 295, Number 5561, Issue of 8 Mar 2002, p. 1816.
Answer these questions in complete sentences on a separate sheet of paper.
- The article mentions specific mate-selection bias' in three organisms. Describe a specific mate-selection bias you have heard your friends describe.
- How might the female guppy's attraction to orange originally develop?
- In Dr. Rodd's plastic disk experiment:
- What is a plausible hypothesis?
- What is the manipulated variable?
- What is the responding variable?
- What were the results of the study?
- The guppies can not manufacture their orange pigments (carotenoids). Where do they obtain those pigments?
- The limited supply of cabrehash fruits favors which male guppies?
- What might dull orange spots on a male tell a female guppy?
- What mating display does a male guppy do to advertise his suitability as a mate?
- List the Universities represented by the people interviewed for this article.