To set Windows Explorer with a Tree panel on the Left
Courtesy of C.Thompson
- Open any folder, and on the menu, Tools, Folder Options - choose the File Types tab.
- Wait forever for it to build the list.
- Near the very top of the list, you should see two Folder icons, both with (NONE) for the file extension. One is "File Folder"; the other, "Folder".
- Choose Folder, and then click Advanced.
- Select Explore from the list, and then click Set Default.
- Apply and Close.
- Now, whenever you double-click a folder, it opens in Explorer.
- To undo, go through the same steps, but set "open" as the default,rather than "explore".