TI-83 Introductory Graphing
Preliminaries and Hints
- This tutorial will presume the default TI-83 settings.
Select MEM -> Reset -> Defaults -> Reset ( 2ND + 5 2 2 ).
- To see the TI-83 MODE press MODE . The mode screen should look like this following a reset to defaults:
- To change any of the MODE settings, use the arrow keys ( ⇓ ⇐ ⇒ ⇑ ) to highlight the setting you want, then press ENTER to select that setting. For example setting the TI-83 so it will display just 2 numbers past the decimal ( MODE ⇓ ⇒ ⇒ ⇒ ENTER ) results in a mode screen which looks like this:
- The graph FORMAT ( 2ND FORMAT ) screen should look like this following a reset to default settings:
- Press Y = to show equations to be graphed. The Y= screen should look like this:
- The Y= screen on the right shows statistical plot 1 (Plot1) is enabled. Disable any stat plots by using the arrow keys ( ⇓ ⇐ ⇒ ⇑ )to highlight the plot that is on, then press ENTER to disable that plot. Pressing ENTER again will enable stat plot 1.
- Clear equations by using the arrow keys ( ⇓ ⇐ ⇒ ⇑ ) to move to the line with an equation then press CLEAR .
- Enter the equation you wish to plot. For example, position the flashing cursor on the /Y1= line then enter X2 ( X,T,θ,n X2 ).
- Press GRAPH to plot that equation. You should see the screen at the right.
- Press TRACE. Use the left and right arrow keys to move the flashing cursor ( ⇐ ⇒ ) along the equation plot. The X and Y coordinates are shown at the bottom of the screen and the function equation is shown at the top of the screen. If you are graphing more than one function, use the up and down arrow keys ( ⇑ ⇓ ) to move between functions. Note that the function equation at the top of the screen and the X and Y coordinates change.
- Common waves we graph are the sine (pronounced sign) ( SIN ) and cosine (pronounced co-sign) ( COS )functions.
- To plot a sine wave, enter the following at the Y= screen Y = 4 SIN X,T,θ,n ) GRAPH
- If graph seems to be missing, select the standard window zoom ( ZOOM 6 )
- For an "ERR: WINDOW RANGE" error: press 1 to clear the error, then select the standard window zoom ( ZOOM 6 ).
- If the graphs look like "messed up": Check that the STAT PLOTs are turned off ( Y = ), then make sure the Plot1 Plot2 Plot3 icons are off.