Laboratory Safety Contract
The laboratory is an exciting place to work and learn if you, the student, are careful. The following safety procedures are important in any lab situation. The purpose of this contract is to remind you that you must assume responsibility for your own safety and for the safety of your classmates.
- Follow written and verbal directions carefully. Note any special warnings.
- Familiarize yourself with all safety equipment in your classroom.
- Never eat, drink, or chew gum in the science laboratory.
- Never run, roughhouse, or engage in inappropriate behavior of any kind in the lab. Inappropriate behavior will result in loss of laboratory privileges for a specified length of time or expulsion from the laboratory. Loss of lab privileges will result in a lower grade.
- Accidents do happen. Report any accident, injury, incorrect procedure and/or broken / damaged equipment immediately (even if the accident / problem is minor!).
- Any time chemicals or heat are used, you will be required to wear laboratory goggles (even if you're not directly involved in the experiment).
- Use extra care when working with heat, open flame, or chemicals.
- Dress properly: no loose hair, baggy clothing, dangling jewelry, or open-toed shoes.
- Keep your lab area free of unnecessary materials (such as backpacks and books).
- Never perform unauthorized experiments. This will result in disciplinary action.
- Do not return unused chemicals to their original container.
- Dispose of waste properly per the instructors directions.
- Clean your work area and return equipment to its proper place. Leave lab areas clean and dry. Wash your hands before leaving the laboratory.
- Use your common sense and always ask questions if there is something you don't understand!
- Student Name: ____________________________________________ Period: ______
- Parent/guardian day phone: _______________ Name of parent/guardian at this no. __________
- Other safety-related information the instructor should be aware of:
My signature below indicates that I have read, understand and will comply with the Expectations and Procedures, and the Lab Safety Contract. I recognize my responsibility in observing all safety rules and realize that violations of the rules may result in my expulsion from lab activities and accompanying reduction in grade or failure in class.