Density Measurement Follow-up Questions
Use complete sentences to answer these questions.
- Is the kilometer, meter, centimeter or millimeter most appropriate for expressing the length and width of the block? Why?
- For which object was your estimates the most accurate? Why?
- For which object was your estimates the least accurate? Why?
- Explain in words the entire process you used to find the density of the marble?
- Contrast the density for a penny you obtained for the single and the 10 pennies?
- Why would there be differences in the penny density measurement?
- A small chain known to be made of gold has a mass of 328.1 grams. When the chain is placed in a graduated cylinder of water, the water level rises from 8 ml to 25 ml. What is the density of gold? Show your calculations.
- Another golden chain has a mass of 315 grams. The graduated cylinder water level changes from 5 ml to 26 ml. What is the density of the chain? Show your calculations.
- Why might the second chain have a different density?
- Explain how knowing the density of a material would allow you to predict if it floats in water.