Phase Change Notes
Kinetic Theory of Matter:
- Molecules are always moving. This is known as the kinetic theory of matter.
- We measure this kinetic energy with a thermometer as temperature.
- The greater the material's internal energy, the higher the temperature of that material.
- Heat is the energy flow between objects of different temperature.
- Heat and temperature are NOT the same.
- Brownian motion describes how visible particles are seen moving due to invisible molecules bumping into them.
Phases of Matter:
matter that has definite volume and shape.The molecules are packed together tightly and move slowly.
matter that has definite volume but not shape.Since the molecules of a liquid are loosely packed and move with greater speed,a liquid can flow and spread.
matter that has no definite volume or shape.Molecules of a gas are so loosely arranged and move so rapidly that they will fill their container.
Phase Change Descriptions:
- the change from solid to liquid.
- the change from liquid to solid.
- the change from liquid to gas.
- vaporization from the surface of a liquid.
- vaporization from within as well as from the surface of a liquid.
- the change from gas to liquid.
- the change from solid to gas.
- the change from gas to solid.