Periodic Table Notes
- Periodic Table
- A table of all the known elements in rows of increasing atomic mass and in columns of elements having similar chemical properties.
- Columns of elements in the periodic table having similar chemical properties. Elements in a group have the same number of e- in the outermost shell/orbital. Groups are numbered from 1 to 18.
- Rows of elements in the periodic table. The period number is the number of e- shells/orbitals the element has. From left to right the elements in a row have increasing atomic number.
- An element that is shiny, ductile, malleable and a good conductor of heat and electricity. Metals tend to transfer e- to nonmetals and form ionic compounds.
- An element with properties between those of metals and nonmetals.
- An element that lacks metallic properties. Nonmetals tend to form covalent bonds with each other or accept electrons from metals to form ionic bonds.
A one page guide to the periodic table: pdf format gif image