Using the Periodic Table
Complete the charts below using your notes and your periodic table.
Note 1: The mass number for the most abundant isotope is found by rounding the atomic mass.
|Element name||Element symbol||Atomic number||Average Atomic mass||Mass number of most abundant isotope||# of protons||# of neutrons||# of electrons in an atom with neutral charge|
|Element name||Element symbol||Period||# of e- shell||Group||# of e- in outermost shell|
Answer these questions in complete sentences.
- What pattern have we observed in the electron configuration of elements in a group?
- What pattern have we observed in the electron configuration of elements in a period?
- What is more important to the chemical reactivity of elements: the number of the electron shell being filled or the number of electrons in that shell?
- What evidence do you have to support your answer above?
- Something unusual happens in period 4 as you move left to right through the groups, filling the electron shells with electrons. Describe how the pattern is different from that in periods 1, 2 and 3.
- What do the elements scandium, chromium and copper have in common? Be specific. Hint: how did you answer the question above?