Matter Quiz 2
- Is heat matter ? Use the definition of matter to explain your reasoning.
- Use the example of water in a beaker to explain the shape and volume characteristics of a liquid.
- Circle which of these is not a physical property:
texture color viscosity flammability luster magnetic attraction
- Explain why your choice above is not a physical property.
- Tell whether the following are chemical or physical changes:
- the burning alcohol lamp _______________
- alcohol evaporating from the alcohol lamp wick _______________
- Tell whether the following are compounds, elements, heterogeneous or homogenous mixtures.
- salt _____________________________
- water _____________________________
- salt dissolved in water _____________________________
- sand in water _____________________________
- copper _____________________________
- your head _____________________________
- Compare and contrast a solution and an alloy.
- Describe one technique for separating mixtures.
- Compare and contrast a scientific law and a scientific theory.
- Record the mass, volume and density for one of the blocks of wood in the room.
Show your calculations and include the correct units.
- mass _____________________
- volume _____________________
- density ______________________