Plant Taxonomy Practice Test
3.0 Taxonomy I can classify plants and demonstrate an understanding of plant taxonomy.
- The four plant divisions are divided based upon their ______ and _______ .
- Why no tall bryophytes?
- Picking any random plant species you are most likely picking a(n) ________.
- Examining the conifer specimens, identify the following: pine ____ cedar ____
- Identify the conifer specimen labeled ____ : _______________________
3.01 Classification: I can explain the hierarchy of plant classification systems.
- What is taxonomy?
- Compare and contrast phylogenetic classification and morphologic classification.
- Describe the advantage of botanical classification.
3.02 Kingdoms: I can identify the kingdoms used in classification of organisms.
- Describe each of the three domains.
- Name the six kingdoms.
- Name an organism from four of the six kingdoms:
3.03 Naming: I can correctly write binomial names for plants.
- McIntosh originally referred to the apple _______ introduced in 1811.
- The binomial name of the grapefruit is Citrus x paradisi. This means that grapefruit are ____.
- Why is araucaria araucana the incorrect format of the Monkey-puzzle tree's binomial name?
3.04 Nomenclature: I understand the use of terminology and languages in nomenclature.
- Knowing two plants are of the same genus allows you to make _____ about their characteristics.
- Why are scientific names preferred over common names?
- King David came over for good soup. Explain this mnemonic.
3.05 Identify: I can identify plants based on their structure.
- Examining the specimen group 1, identify the following: Bryophyte ____ Pteridophtye ____ Gymnosperm ____ Angiosperm ____
- Examining the specimen group 2, identify the following: marigold ____ campanula ____ chives relative ____
3.06 Categories: I can identify plants within the following categories: Woody plants (evergreen and deciduous), Herbaceous plants, Annual bedding plants, Perennials, Ground covers, Bulbs and Turf grasses.
We have grown, viewed or discussed several plants so far in class. Give an example by name of a plant in each category.
- Woody evergreen plants _____________________
- Woody deciduous plants _____________________
- Herbaceous plants _____________________
- Annual bedding plants _____________________
- Perennials _____________________
- Ground covers _____________________
- Bulbs _____________________
- Grasses _____________________
1.04 Taxonomic Classification: I can use the taxonomy classification system to discern plant relationships.
This list of conifers is sorted alphabetically by common name. Use your knowledge of the taxonomy to rearrange this list.
- Alaska-cedar (Chamaecyparis nootkatensis)
- Atlas cedar (Cedrus atlantica)
- cedar of Lebanon (Cedrus libani)
- deodar cedar (Cedrus deodara)
- incense-cedar (Calocedrus decurrens)
- Port-Orford-cedar (Chamaecyparis lawsoniana)
- western redcedar (Thuja plicata)