Taxonomy Quiz 1
- The process of grouping things together on the basis of the features they have in common is called
a. classification c. taxonomy b. phylogenetic d. morphology
- The study of plant classification is known as
a. taxonomy c. re-classification b. morphology d. phylogenetic
- The oldest classification system was based upon physical characteristics of the plants. These physical characteristics are the plant's
a. taxonomy c. metaclassification b. morphology d. phylogeny
- A classification system that reflects evolutionary changes is called
a. taxonomy c. evo-devo b. morphological d. phylogenetic
- Which of these is NOT needed to create a classification system?
a. the objects to be classified. c. identifying features (characters). b. a living language d. logical way of ordering groups.
- When the number of differences between the genomes of two species are small we know they are
a. mutated c. in different phylums b. closely related d. slightly related
- Which of these is the correct way to write a scientific name?
a. homo sapiens c. Homo sapiens b. Homo sapiens d. homo Sapiens
- Another name for Black-eyed Susan is Rudbeckia hirta, which is its ________ name
a. hybrid c. species b. cultivar d. genus
- A snapdragon is named Antirrhinum nanum 'Frosted Flames'. This name describes a
a. class c. hybrid b. genus d. cultivar
- A marigold is described as Tagetes patula x erecta. This marigold is a
a. hybrid c. mutant b. cultivar d. genus
- A plant that grows the first year, then flowers and dies the second year is called a(n)
a. semiannual c. annual b. diennial d. biennial
- A friend gives you a plant she calls 'field marigold'. You were thinking you should care for it like any other marigold until you looked up its scientific name, Calendula arvensis. On the back of the answer sheet, explain why you decide to research this plant further.