- Kew B3 Structures
- Colo. Master Gardeners Stems
- Colo. Master Gardeners Photosynthesis, Respiration and Transpiration
- Idaho Master Gardeners Chapter 3 Basic Botany
- Concept Map for stems
- Interactive Transpiration tutorial.
- What are the two primary functions of the stem?
- What three structures might you find at a node?
- Describe the stem's vascular system .
- Compare and contrast xylem and phloem .
- Contrast the location of vascular bundles in a dicot stem cross- section and a monocot stem cross-section.
- Do you think that a leaf might have vascular bundles? Explain your answer.
Each drawing is evaluated using a Visual Presentations Rubric
- External stem structure: Sketch an actual woody dicot stem and label these features: axial bud, internode, leaf scar, node, terminal bud scar, terminal bud.
- Internal stem structure: Use a prepared microscope slide to sketch a dicot and monocot stem cross-section. Label the sketches as monocot or dicot, indicate the vascular bundles.
- Draw a detail of a vascular bundle labeling the xylem, phloem and cambium layer.