Sam's Soil and Water Questions
After reading pages 1-5 of Home Gardener's Guide to Soils and Fertilizers - EB1971 answer these questions:
- What are peds (aggregates)?
- How are peds formed?
- Discuss or sketch the relationship among peds, macropores and micropores.
- What is soil compaction?
- What does compaction do to pore space?
- What are some causes of compaction?
- Sing the praises of organic matter. Or write down the praises of organic matter.
- Sketch and label a side view diagram showing the conditions described in the first two paragraphs of the 'Slope, Aspect, Depth and Water' section on page 4.
- Western Washington has a Mediterranean climate , which means summer irrigation for some plants. How does soil texture affect irrigation?
- What is "runoff"? Why is it bad? How do you prevent it?
- Tie together our wet spring, soil structure and soil management.