Seeds Questions Key
- List three of the four requirements for germination: water imbibition, oxygen, temperature, light (absence or presence)
- Seed dormancy can be advantageous to a plant because it allows dispersal to new habitats by wind, water, animals. Describe an example of each dispersal agent and the plant that uses it.
- Explain how seed dormancy allows the plant to synchronize to the environment.
- There are two general categories of dormancy are seed coat dormancy and embryo dormancy. Give an example of a specific dormancy mechanism for each category.
Seed coat dormancy:
- growth inhibitors in the seed coat
- impermeable seed coats may require scarification.
- further embryo development needed
- physiological dormancy due to growth inhibitors needing to be broken down.
- What we did to the Lupin seeds is called scarification.
- Explain stratification. A cold moisture regime to simulate winter.
- Leaching with water is a way to break seed dormancy. What is being leached? Germination inhibitors
- The greater genetic diversity of seeds is both advantages and disadvantage to propagation by seed. Explain how that can be. Increased variation due to genetic recombination is not good for keeping the exact plant characteristics.
- The two main ways to propagate plants are: sexual and asexual
Waiting until warm / rainy season