On a separate sheet of paper answer these questions in complete sentences.
- Define metabolism.
- Define photosynthesis.
- What is the balanced equation for photosynthesis?
- What types of organisms undergo photosynthesis?
- What are the chemical inputs to photosynthesis?
- Where does the light-dependent reaction occur?
- Where does the light-independent reaction occur?
- If the light-dependent reaction has made ATP why bother with the light-independent reaction?
- Why did Calvin describe the process that bears his name as a cycle?
- At what stage of photosynthesis do the oxygen atoms exit the process?
- At what stage of photosynthesis do the carbon atoms enter the process? What form does the carbon take?
- At what stage of photosynthesis do the carbon atoms exit the process? What form does the carbon take?
- When did photosynthesis start on Earth? How do you know?
- Describe a pigment as it relates to photosynthesis.
- What is the most common pigment in green plants?
- Why do deciduous trees leaves turn colors in the fall?
- Draw a chloroplast and label its inner and outer membranes, thylakoid, stroma and grana.