No fairy tale: Researchers spin straw into gold Questions
Answer these questions in complete sentences on a separate sheet of paper.
- The width of these nanoparticles of gold is ____ of a meter.
- Express the "nano" prefix in scientific notation.
- The real value of these gold particles is they are:
|a. directly useable in nanotechnology.
||c. gathered in large quantities.
|b. in nearby Mexico.
- Phytoremediation is:
|a. when plants absorb toxic materials.
||c. fertilizer for increased plant growth.
|b. a form of radioactive cesium.
||d. gold nanoparticles.
- The gold particles are dispersed throughout the plants. True or False
- List other pollutants cleaned by phytoremediation.
- The nanotechnology research project started out as ____ clean-up project.
- Researchers have used plants to find new ______ ______ hidden beneath volcanic ash and dust.
- List other metals being separated by phytoremediation.
- Use you knowledge of solubility to explain how the metals are separated from the plants.
Source: "No fairy tale: Researchers spin straw into gold". Peter N. Spotts. Christian Science Monitor. 29 Aug 2002