After reading the Kew B3 Structures sheet and Idaho Master Gardener Program Handbook Chapter 3 Basic Botany , answer these questions:
- Define a bud.
- Buds may be described by their location and by their 'fate'. Name and describe the types of buds.
- Explain what we mean when we say meristem is capable of differentiation.
- Contrast the shoot and root meristems.
- Describe two lateral meristems.
- Why are lateral meristems needed by the plant?
- Compare and contrast apical meristem and intercalary meristem.
- Why is intercalary meristem a good adaptation for plants eaten by animals?
- Why are the trunks of some trees protected from rabbits by fencing?