After reading pages 444-447 in Addison-Wesley, answer these questions in complete sentences.
- Define hormones.
- Describe (define) an auxin's effects on plants.
- Explain how the Darwins and Went used oats in their investigation of auxins.
- The most abundant naturally occurring auxin is _____________________.
- Explain why 2,4-D is used as an herbicide.
- Would 2,4-D be a good choice for killing the grass growing in the cracks of the student parking lot? Explain.
- Describe (define) a gibberellin's effects on plants.
- Even if it didn't die, why would it be a problem if your rice plant fell over?
- Do plants have their own gibberellins or are they found only in that fungus?
- If you were growing grapes would a gibberellin spray be useful for you? Explain.
- Describe (define) a cytokinin's effects on plants.
- Make (two) labeled drawings showing the interaction of auxins, cytokinins and apical dominance.
- Describe ethylene's effects on plants.
- Give an example of ethylene's use in horticulture.
- Describe abscisic acid's effects on plants.
- Some seeds of desert plants have abscisic acid in their seeds. What function might that chemical perform?