After reading the article Damping-off Diseases in the Garden, answer these questions.
- Who published this document? ______________________________
- What is a pathogen?
- Describe symptoms of damping-off.
- Describe several clues that seedling mortality might not be due to damping-off
- Where do damping-off organisms live? _______________________
- What are the two main groups of these pathogens?
- Damping-off is controlled primarily in four ways. What are those methods?
- Damping-off is worse when the soil is__________________________.
- Describe ways that drainage can be improved
- To reduce damping-off a grower should use (circle one of each pair):
- deep planting or shallow planting.
- cold soil or warm soil.
- inexpensive seeds or quality seeds.
- plenty of water or allow soil to dry between waterings.
- crowded seedlings or thin seedlings.
- plenty of nitrogen fertilizer or less nitrogen fertilizer.
- Why is sanitation important?
- Describe two ways to reduce pathogen survival.
- Describe the easiest way for you to sterilize soil.
- Describe how to solarize soil.
- Why or why not would solarization be effective in Island County?
- Although there was a warning notice, what control method wasn't described in the article?