Can this fruit be saved? questions
After reading "Can this fruit be saved?
", answer these questions in complete sentences.
- How many pounds of bananas do Americans eat in a year?
- If the average shopping mall is 600,000 ft2, what is the density of the banana plants that Aguilar is growing?
- Where and when was the Cavendish banana first found?
- How long have bananas been in human cultivation?
- What is the problem with that long period of cultivation?
- Contrast the taste of the Cavendish and Gros Michel.
- What category of organism is the Panama disease?
- Have you heard that popular song from 1923?
- Why was the switch over from Gros Michel to the Cavendish so expensive?
- Yikes! what showed up in 1992?
- Describe the two strategies being used to save the banana.
- How long did it take Panama disease Race 4 to wipe out the Malaysian plantations?
- How did the banana peel force a major change in municipal government?
- Describe the banana plant (roots, stems, leaves, flowers and fruits).
- If bananas don't have seeds how do you get more banana plants?
- Oh wait, you can force a banana to make seeds. Describe this process.
- The Umpiko banana has a problem. What is it?
- Why are pathogens such a huge worry for East African countries?
- Why are the African varieties so genetically similar?
- A Black Sigatoka resistant banana has been created using a gene from __________ .
- Why are there concerns about a genetically modified banana?
- Did the Chiquita and Dole Corporations sound like a good influence for Latin American countries? Support your position.
- How effective is spraying for banana diseases? Support your position.
- How many years are left for the Cavendish?