Plant Classification Questions (Kew B1)
Use the Kew B1 Plant Classification Information Sheet to answer these questions.
- What is classification?
- What is taxonomy?
- Name an important, non-science related world event that happened in Linneaus' lifetime.
- Linneaus used only _________________ parts to classify plants.
- Describe phylogenetic classification.
- Describe the advantage of botanical classification.
- What is the value of a predictive classification system? Give an example.
- What three things do you need to create a classification system?
- The oldest classification system was based upon physical characteristics or the _________________ of the plants.
- How can genes show two species are closely related?
- Compare and contrast phylogenetic classification and morphologic classification.
- Fill in the blanks: The ultimate goal of a _________________ system is to accurately represent plant _________________. The latest tool we are using is _________________.