Marble and Ramp Video Lab Save My Posterior
What we know about communicating experiment design
Question: The question is the scientifically researchable question the student is attempting to answer.
Prediction/Hypothesis: The hypothesis is a possible answer to the student’s question.
- It must refer back to the question and is based on the student’s background knowledge.
- It should be an “If _____ (manipulated variable) then _____ (responding variable) because ______ ” statement.
- Avoid using pronouns (it, you, she …) and general words such as thing, stuff…
Conclusion:The conclusion is a summary paragraph. Every conclusion should:
- Restate the prediction or hypothesis.
- Clearly state whether the prediction/hypothesis was supported or rejected .
- Provide the range of data: When you changed your variable (mv) the least, what happened (rv)? When you changed your variable (mv) the most, what happened (rv)?
- Explain how the data supports or rejects the hypothesis or answers the question.
Sample Marble and Ramp Video Lab
- Our question: How does the marble GPE affect the KE in the marble / ramp system?
- Write your Hypothesis:
Marble mass = 0.005 kg
Measured Height (m) Calculated GPE (J) Measured Distance (m) Measured Time (s) Calculated Velocity (m/s) Calculated KE (J) 0.20 0.0098 0.15 0.20 0.75 0.0014 0.40 0.0196 0.15 0.10 1.5 0.0056 0.60 0.0294 0.15 0.06 2.5 0.0156 Sample Calculations
- GPE = G×m×h
- GPE = 9.8 m/s/s × 0.005 kg × 0.20 m
- GPE = 0.0098 J
- Velocity = Δ distance ÷ Δ time
- Velocity = 0.15 m ÷ 0.2 s
- Velocity = 0.75 m/s
- K.E. = ½ × m × v2
- K.E. = ½ × 0.005 kg × 0.75 m/s 2
- K.E. = 0.0014 J
- Write your Conclusion: