Test is on
Practice Waves Test
Show all your work!
- Define a wave, period, frequency.
- In the jug band lab what was the manipulated variable?
- Middle C has a frequency of 262 Hz. What is its period?
- Define crest, trough and wave velocity.
- In the jug band lab what was the responding variable?
- Define a transverse wave and longitudinal wave.
- In the jug band lab what were the controlled variables?
- A wave hit the shore every 5 seconds. What is the frequency of the waves?
- What is diffraction?
- If the speed of sound is 343 m/s and a sound has a frequency of 262 Hz, what is its wave length?
- What is refraction?
- Place a pencil or pen in a glass of water. Use the fact that the speed of light changes with the medium it is in to explain what you see.
- In the elephant reading sound was bent upwards by temperature differences in the air close to the ground and the air a little ways above the ground. This bending of waves is called _______ .
Make a graph using the data below:
- Air at 20 °C = 343 m/s
- Helium = 965 m/s
- Fresh water (25°C) = 1482 m/s
- Sea water (25°C) = 1533 m/s
- Wood = 3828 m/s
- Steel = 5960 m/s
- Sound is a _______________________ wave.
- Estimate the frequency of this wave captured by the TI-83 and CBL.
- The diagram on the right is an example of __________________.
- Use the graph to estimate the speed of sound in the waters of the Great Salt Lake. The salinity of the Great Salt Lake is approx. 13%