Rube Goldberg Machines
- Students will work in teams of 2-3 students to create a "Rube Goldberg" machine that accomplishes a specific task and demonstrates your knowledge of energy transfers and transformations.
- The machine will adhere to the machine parameters listed below.
- The team will create a rough blueprint of the machine. Only your final blueprint will be turned in for credit. You will not get a paper for the final blueprint until teacher approves the rough draft.
- The blueprint of your machine clearly labels and identifies:
- the energy transfers and transformations within.
- any chemical or physical changes.
- the simple machines contained within.
- a clear explanation of how each step works.
- All blueprints must be evaluated and approved by your teacher prior to building the actual machine.
- The blueprint must show pride and be neatly done.
- For the final blueprint, use only the blueprint paper provided by your teacher.
The Machine has these parameters:
- May use thermal, light, chemical, electrical, kinetic, sound or potential energy.
- Must use 3 or more energy transfers.
- Must use at least one energy transformation.
- Must be self-sustaining.
- May use a maximum of 20 dominoes. Dominoes are not required.
- Must not involve people or animals.
- Must use two or more types of simple machines , each type can be used more than once.
- Must be able to set up, test a few times, and clean up within a class period.
- Must accomplish a task. Choose from these tasks (ending options):
- shut or open door/drawer
- turn on/off light
- open/shut book
- turn on water faucet
- drop an object into a container
- draw a line or picture or write a message
- pop a balloon
- zip or unzip a zipper (not on a person)
- turn on or off radio/music
- water a plant
- Others options considered with teacher approval.
Rube Goldberg Project Grading Rubric
Group Members: _____________________ ____________________ _____________________
Project Objective: ______________________________________________
|4 – Exceeds Standards||3 – Meets Standards||2 – Emergent||1 – Well Below Standards||0 - Missing||Score|
|Energy Transformations Explanations||Clearly identified and described 2 or more energy transformation||Clearly identified and described 1 energy transformation||Clearly identified 1 energy transformation (but not described)||Energy transformation is not clearly identified||No attempt was made to identify|
|Energy Transfers Explanations||Clearly identified and described 4 or more energy transfers||Clearly identified and described 3 energy transfer||Clearly identified 2 energy transfers||Identified 1 energy transfer||No attempt was made to identify|
|Blueprint||Complete and clearly labeled. Shows pride in work.||Complete, but no more than 1 step was unlabeled.||Complete, but 2-3 labels were missing OR messy||Incomplete or missing many labels OR Sloppy, hard to read||Missing.|
|Goal Accomplishment||Built machine clearly demonstrates all of the energy transfers and transformations; accomplishes objective goal.||Machine was built and met the end goal||Built machine, but did not quite achieve the end goal||Attempt was made to build machine, but it did not function||Did not build a machine.|