Electromagnetic Spectrum Activity
- You and your small group will investigate one of the seven bands of electromagnetic spectrum.
- Your group will report to the class their findings with:
- Mini-presentation < 3 minutes
- Visual aid (poster, ppt, interpretive dance, etc)
- The presentation must include the data for their EM band as shown in the EM Spectrum Data Table.
- There should also be a diagram of the EM spectrum highlighting your EM band similar to the image on the right or listed in the resources.
- The presentation will be evaluated with this Oral 8pt rubric.
- During the presentation, classmates record personal notes on a EM Spectrum Data Table and their own diagram of the EM spectrum.
- Suggested resources include:
- NASA EM Spectrum Information Pages
- Discovery Education EM Spectrum
- NASA Tour Of The Electromagnetic Spectrum Video series.
- The Electromagnetic Spectrum on Flash . Be sure to mouse hover over the icons on the top of the flash animation.
- EM spectrum diagram
- EM spectrum properties diagram
- Clicking on the EM spectrum names in the table below will take you to an information page.
- Reference sheet for making EM Spectrum calculations
EM Spectrum Data Table
Name Wavelength Range
Frequency Range (Hz) Energy
(Choose: ionizing or med or low)
(one natural and one man-made)
Uses Radio Waves Microwaves Infrared Visible Light Ultraviolet X-Rays Gamma Rays