Questions for Life's Rocky Start
Read the article Life's Rocky Start by Robert Hazen, Scientific American April 2001. Answer these questions in complete sentences.
- What five significant functions could minerals have played in the first life-inducing chemical reactions?
- What pertinent experiment was performed in 1953 ?
- How did a discovery in 1977 change the possible venue for life's origin on Earth?
- Explain how calcite and chance were involved with life on Earth having left-handed amino acids.
- What do ammonia synthesis and carbon fixation at deep-sea hydrothermal vents have in common?
- What key property of life might have emerged in a mineral-ordered ancient Earth environment?
- Discuss how the author structured the article around the five significant mineral functions.