Caterpillars fling faeces experiment design questions
After reading the article, Caterpillars fling faeces afar to fool foes by Mark Horstman at ABC Science Online, 2 April 2003, answer these questions in complete sentences in your journal.
- Where in the country can you find these butterflies?
- What two interesting behaviors does the caterpillar have?
- Dr. Weiss developed and tested three hypotheses. What question were these hypotheses all designed to answer?
- What was Dr. Weiss' first hypothesis?
- For the first hypothesis describe the manipulated variable and responding variable.
- What was Dr. Weiss' second hypothesis?
- For the second hypothesis describe the manipulated variable and responding variable.
- What was Dr. Weiss' third hypothesis?
- For the third hypothesis describe the manipulated variable and responding variable.
- What was the control group for the third experiment?
- If you were Dr. Weiss, what variables would you keep constant (the controlled variables) in these experiments ?
- Did these experiments result in quantitative or qualitative data ?
- What do the other families of butterflies and moths that eject feces have in common?
- One day while watching chickadees at a nest, Mr. Rick saw an adult bird bring some food to the nestlings. When the adult left the nest it was carrying a little white bag. What's up with that?