Mendelian Genetics Notes
Mendel's Law of Segregation
- Organisms inherit one gene from each parent.
- Each organism has two alleles.
- Each gamete has one allele (alleles segregate).
- Each allele is independent.
Mendel's Law of Dominance
- The expression of one allele (phenotype) may mask the other.
- This allele is "dominant".
- The masked allele is "recessive".
Mendel's Law of Independent Assortment
- Genes may segregate independently from each other.
- Gametes can have different combinations of genes (and alleles).
- There are exceptions!