"How did the stickleback lose its fins?" Questions
After reading the article "How did the stickleback lose its fins?"By David Perlman, Chronicle Science Editor, April 15, 2004. ©2004 San Francisco Chronicle, answer these question in complete sentences in your journal.
- How long are sticklebacks?
- Why don't freshwater sticklebacks have pelvic fins?
- Why do the saltwater sticklebacks have those sharp fins?
- What is the Pitx1 gene known to be involved with ?
- What is a gene (two parts to the answer)?
- What does it mean to cross-breed the fish?
- What do the damaged forms of the Pitx1 gene cause in mice?
- Pelvic fins are to sticklebacks as _____ _____ are to four-legged animals.
- Pectoral fins are to sticklebacks as _____ are to four-legged animals.
- What is adaptive radiation? (Hint: it has nothing to do with X-rays or Uranium)
- These genetic changes in the freshwater sticklebacks happened within the last ______ years.
- Scientists from how many countries were involved in this study?