Mendelian Genetics Questions
On a separate sheet of paper answer these questions in complete sentences.
- What is a trait?
- List an example from the plant and animal kingdoms of early human experiments in genetics.
- Define genetics.
- Describe how Mendel's training in physics and mathematics assisted his studies of biology.
- How did the flower structure of pea plants assist Mendel in his work?
- Before making hybrids, why must a person have pure-bred lines?
- Compare and contrast dominant and recessive traits.
- State Mendel's three laws in your own words.
- Compare and contrast a scientific law and a scientific theory.
- How did Mendel use phenotypes to determine genotypes?
- What evidence did Mendel have for independent assortment?
- "-zygous" derives from the Greek word "zygon" which means to join. Use your understanding of the prefixes "hetero-" and "homo-" to explain what heterozygous and homozygous mean.