Ring Species: Salamanders (edited) Questions
After reading Ring Species: Salamanders, answer these questions in complete sentences.
- How is a salamander different from a lizard?
- Where was the ancestral ensatina population?
- Sketch a map of Oregon and California and label where you estimate the six ensatina sub-populations are.
- Why does the San Joaquin valley split the ensatina populations?
- If there wasn't a San Joaquin valley would there be different ensatina populations ?
- How are the coastal ensatina populations different from the populations in the Sierra Nevada ?
- Why would a salamander population develop bright yellow colors?
- What two factors keep neighboring populations from merging ?
- How long has David Wake been studying ensatina?
- What do David Reznick, Peter Grant and David Wake have in common ?
- Compare a spiral parking garage to ring species.