Evolution / populations Vocabulary Quiz
- descent with modification
- divergence in traits
- Genetic change in a population or species over generations.
- evolutionary adaptation
- An inherited characteristic that enhances an organism’s ability to survive and reproduce in a particular environment.
- A preserved remnant or impression of an organism that lived in the pas
- gene flow
- The loss or gain of alleles in a population due to the migration of fertile individuals or gametes between populations.
- gene pool
- The total aggregate of genes in a population at any one time
- genetic drift
- Changes in the gene pool of a small population due to chance.
- Anatomical similarity due to common ancestry.
- A change in the gene pool of a population from generation to generation.
- A rare change in the DNA of a gene ultimately creating genetic diversity
- natural selection
- Differential success in the reproduction of different phenotypes resulting from the interaction of organisms with their environment. Evolution occurs when natural selection causes changes in relative frequencies of alleles in the gene pool.
- nonrandom mating
- population isolation
- A group of individuals of one species that live in a particular geographic area.
- reproductive isolation
- The origin of new species in evolution
- A group whose members possess similar anatomical characteristics and have the ability to interbreed.
- Evolutionary change on a grand scale, encompassing the origin of new taxonomic groups, evolutionary trends, adaptive radiation, and mass extinction.