"Darwinian shift: survival of the smallest" questions
After reading the article "Darwinian shift: survival of the smallest", answer these questions in complete sentences in your journal.
- What does the word 'contemporary' mean?
- Contemporary evolution was once thought to be an exception now it is seen as _____________________.
- What percentage of the Grand Banks cod populations were left by the early 1990's?
- Describe the cod that remained after the Grand Banks fisheries collapse.
- Over ten years ago cod fishing on the Grand Banks was banned. What hasn't happened since then?
- Explain why Dr. Olsen described what happened to the cod as "Survival of the smallest".
- When should managers cut back on the fishing of endangered populations ?
- Describe what happened to the mountain sheep and why their population changed.
- How is hunting in Europe different from here?
- What does Dr. Kinnison say about local populations ?
- List the names of the universities mentioned in the article.
- What lessons does the Atlantic cod fisheries have for Pacific Northwest salmon fisheries ?