A population is :
- a group of individuals,
- usually all of one species,
- living in the same place at the same time.
Population structure includes these factors :
- spacing or dispersal (random, clumped, uniform)
- distribution over time
- age distribution
Organism life stages :
- growth period
- energy gathering stage
- resting stage
- reproductive stage
Tools to see patterns in populations :
- life tables
- survivorship curves
- age structure diagrams
Population Growth Models
- exponential growth - when resources are "unlimited".
- logistic growth - when limited by environmental constraints.
All of the organisms inhabiting a common environment and interacting with one another.