Population Ecology Objectives
- Understand the meaning of population(s), density and dispersion.
Understand the elements of demography including:
- how age structure affects population growth.
- how to use survivorship curves.
- what is a cohort?
- Understand what a life history is and the similarities and diferences between equilibrial and opportunistic strategies.
- Understand the characteristics and ultimate fates for the two models of population growth, exponential and logistic
Understand the concept of carrying capacity.
- How population size is regulated.
- Understand and give examples of density dependent and density independent control factors.
- Describe classic population cycling models and how they can be misinterpreted.