OHHS Microclimate Project
Students work in groups to gather data (abiotic and biotic) about several sites on the OHHS campus.
- Each student will record each day's data in their journal.
- Each data point will include who made the measurement.
- Students will rotate measurements so that each student will have made two temperature, wind speed, and RH measurements.
- Observations will be collated and presented in a poster.
The instructor may elect to change sites depending on class size and supervision issues.
- Courtyard Shrubs - shrubs located by the west locker bay.
- Courtyard Clearing - open area by the hexagon planter.
- Ditch - the drainage ditch located at the B-wing parking lot.
- East Grove - the cluster of Douglas firs located at the SE end of D-wing
- Mounds - the disturbed site north of C-wing.
- Playing Field - the playing field at the west end of B-wing.
- West Grove - the cluster of Douglas firs located at the SW end of B-wing
More measurements are added as activity progresses. There will be about seven data measurement days.
- Location - relative to campus landmarks and GPS coordinates.
- Description -
- Temperature - every field day of soil temperature
- Wind speed - every field day using Beaufort scale.
- Relative Humidity - every field day measured using sling psychrometers.
- Ultraviolet light - one/two time, absence/presence measurement using UV beads.
- Air pollution - one/two time measurement using petroleum jelly-coated index cards.
- Soil Nutrients - one time measurement for Nitrogen, using commercial Gardner soil test kits.
- Water pH - one time measurement from soil sample.
- Soil percolation - one time measurement using hole dug for soil sample.
- Species count
- Population estimates