Estimating the OHHS population from a sample
- Using the population of students in this room estimate the number of students at the OHHS main campus. Show your calculations.
- Obtain the actual student count from the OHHS receptionist, Mrs. White.
- Calculate the percentage error in your estimates using this formula:
% error = 100*[(estimated population - actual population) / actual population]
- Explain how the count of students in the room (the sample) could cause a bad population estimate?
- How could you minimize that error in estimating the student population?
- Could you ever eliminate the error? Explain your reasoning.