Global Carbon Cycle
- Draw an landscape showing the reservoirs. Label the reservoirs.
- Use arrows to represent the fluxes that connect reservoirs. Label the arrows.
- When finished, check that you have correct number of reservoirs and fluxes.
Where carbon and its compounds are stored or retained. Units are gigatons (1 x 109 tons) of carbon.
- Atmosphere - 778 Gtc
- Land plants - 610
- Soil and detritus - 1580
- Surface ocean - 1020
- Surface sediment - 150
- Dissolved organic carbon (oceanic) - 700
- Intermediate and deep ocean - 38,100
Movement of carbon. Units are gigatons of carbon per year.
- Atmosphere to surface ocean - 92
- Surface Ocean to atmosphere - 90
- Surface ocean to deep ocean - 92
- Deep ocean to Surface ocean - 100
- Atmosphere to Soil and detritus - 4
- Land use change to atmosphere - 1
- Deep ocean to surface sediments - 0.2
- Fossil fuel use and cement production - 6
- Dissolved organic carbon to deep ocean - 2
References: Strategic Plan for Climate Change Science Program. Final Report 2003. Figure 7-1.