Carbon Cycle Game
|Reservoir||No. of students (25 class size)|
|Soil and Detritus||2|
- Instructor prints files: Passport and stations - .odg, .pdf Stamps - .odg, .pdf
- Students get their passports.
- The instructor assigns carbon atoms (students) to their starting locations using the table as a guide.
- At the location, the atom records in their passports how they got there and (or stamp) their location.
- The carbon atom rolls the dice at each station to determine where they are going next and how they are getting there.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 for effect.
- "Fossil Fuel" students feed into the atmosphere whenever a new student visits the atmosphere. Each new visitor must represent one year's passage.
- Instructor provides a landscape drawing similar to fig 7.1. Students draw lines on landscape to show their journeys. Discuss the patterns formed.
- Students answer Global Carbon Cycle Questions.
- Where carbon and its compounds are stored or retained.
- Units are gigatons (1 x 109 tons) of carbon.
- A sheet of notebook paper is ≈100in2.
- Let one sheet of notebook paper= 1000 Gtc carbon
- Atmosphere - 778 Gtc ≈ ¾ sheet
- Deep Ocean (and intermediate)- 38,100 Gtc ≈ 38 sheets
- Land plants - 610 Gtc ≈ ½ sheet
- Marine biota - 3 Gtc ≈ 3-hole punch paper
- Organic Oceanic (dissolved) - 700 Gtc ≈ ¾ sheet
- Soil and detritus - 1580 Gtc ≈ 1½ sheets
- Surface ocean - 1020 Gtc ≈ 1 sheet
- Surface sediment - 150 Gtc ≈ 3x5" note card
Movement of carbon. Units are gigatons of carbon per year.
- Atmosphere to Soil and detritus - 4
- Atmosphere to Surface Ocean - 92
- Deep Ocean to Surface Ocean - 100
- Deep Ocean to Surface Sediments - 0.2
- Dissolved Organic Carbon to Deep Ocean - 2
- Fossil Fuel Use and Cement Production - 6
- Land Use Change to Atmosphere - 1
- Surface Ocean to Atmosphere - 90
- Surface ocean to Deep Ocean - 92
Strategic Plan for Climate Change Science Program. Final Report 2003. Figure 7-1.