Terrestrial Carbon Cycle
- Draw an landscape showing the reservoirs. Label the reservoirs.
- Use arrows to represent the fluxes that connect reservoirs. Label the arrows.
- When finished, check that you have correct number of reservoirs and fluxes.
Where carbon and its compounds are stored or retained:
Movement of carbon.
- Animals breathe CO2 to the atmosphere. Label = animal respiration.
- Animals eat the plants and convert it to animal tissue. Label = consumption.
- Decomposers (bacteria and fungi) in soil convert dead organisms and litter into CO2 that stays in soil. Label = decomposition.
- Plant release CO2 to the atmosphere. Label = plant respiration.
- Plants take-up CO2 from the atmosphere. Label = assimilation.
- Soil gradually releases CO2 to the atmosphere. Label = soil respiration.