Earthquake Waves Scaffold
What do we feel in earthquakes?
- Waves produced by an earthquake are called _______________________________.
- Seismic waves radiate in all directions from the _________________________.
- This is the point _________________________ the surface where the waves (and the earthquake) originate.
- The point on the Earth's surface above the focus is called the _________________________.
- We will look at three types of seismic waves: _________________________, _________________________ and _________________________ waves.
Primary (P) waves
- P-waves are _________________________waves.
- P-waves create moving _________________________ and _________________________ in rock.
- P-waves travel thousands of kilometers per hour.
- P-waves pass through _________________________, _________________________ and _________________________.
- P-waves will travel _________________________ the Earth.
Secondary (S) waves
- S waves (or shear waves) are _________________________ waves.
- The rock moves at _________________________ angles to the _________________________ of motion.
- S-waves travel _________________________ than P waves.
- S-waves cannot pass through _________________________.
- S-waves will also travel _________________________ the Earth.
- Surface waves are produced when _________________________ waves hit the Earth's surface.
- Surface waves cause a _________________________ motion on the surface.
- Surface waves travel _________________________ than S waves
- Surface waves take longer to reach any point because they _________________________ (move) along the _________________________.
- Surface waves cause the _________________________ damage.