Plate Tectonics Review Questions:
Write your answers in complete sentences.
- Describe the structure of the Earth.
- What characteristic of transverse waves assisted geophysicists in determining the Earth's internal structure?
- Define the lithosphere and asthenosphere.
- Define the crust and mantle.
- Why do we need these two different ways (lithosphere/ asthenosphere and crust/ mantle) to describe essentially the same part of the Earth?
- Describe the theory of continental drift.
- Describe problems Wegener had getting his ideas accepted.
- Describe the three categories of evidence Wegener used to support his theory of continental drift.
- What is a fossil?
- Describe the two organic parts of the paleoclimate evidence.
- Explain how glacial striations supported Wegener's theory.
- What WWII technological advance allowed the discovery of the mid-ocean ridges?
- Explain why the seafloor has been described as a conveyor belt.
- Why couldn't Wegener use seafloor spreading to support his ideas about continental drift?
- Name pieces of evidence Hess used to support his theory of seafloor spreading.
- Why couldn't Wegener use geomagnetic reversals to support his ideas about continental drift?
- Draw a proportional time-line showing important developments of the theory of plate tectonics from 1620 to the 1960's.