Geomagnetic Reversal Questions
- Most rocks are solidifying when cooled to 1000°C. Yet, something important happens closer to 600°C in iron-rich rocks such as basalts found at mid-ocean ridges. Explain.
- Paleomagnetism wouldn't be of much interest were it not for a dynamic characteristic of the Earth's magnetic field. Explain.
- How does paleomagnetism bolster the sea-floor spreading hypothesis?
- Why couldn't Wegener use geomagnetism to support his ideas about continental drift?
- Draw a cross-section of a mid-ocean ridge showing geomagnetic patterns preserved in the rock.