Evidence of Continental Drift Questions
- In the fossil record of several continents, groups of plants and animals showed a simultaneous, orderly evolution. At some point in time their evolutionary paths diverged. Explain what happened.
- Paleontologists found fossils of some land plants and animals that were found to span modern day oceans. How can that be explained?
- What is your favorite BFF (best fossil forever) plant or animal encountered so far in our study of Pangaea? Why is it your favorite?
- Wegener observed that rocks in Eastern Brazil matched those of northeastern Africa. Explain each of the three significant characteristics a geologist would look for to 'match' rocks.
- The Appalachian Mountain, Caledonian mountains of Scotland, the Scandes mountains of Norway and the Atlas Mountains of Morocco were once one mountain range of Pangaea. What allows a modern geologist to make this claim?
- Explain how the paleoclimate evidence covered the full range of climates on Earth.