Patterns in Earthquake Depths Analysis
- What is the relationship between an earthquake's distance from the trench and the depth of the earthquake?
- How does this relationship pertain to plate tectonics? Be specific and use the correct terminology.
- How would plotting earthquake depths have helped geophysicists when they were first trying to understand oceanic-continental convergent plate boundaries? Remember they didn't have the cross-section drawings of boundaries we have seen.
- In what two ways did we use earthquakes as tools for understanding plate tectonics?
- Would you expect deep focus earthquakes at an oceanic-oceanic convergent plate boundary? Explain your reasoning.
- Would you expect deep focus earthquakes at a continental-continental convergent plate boundary? Explain your reasoning.
- Imagine you are geophysicist plotting earthquakes. How would you explain shallow earthquakes beneath the volcanoes of a continental-oceanic crust convergent boundary?