Origins Quiz Key B
Use your journal to answer these questions:
- How long ago did the solar system form? 4.6 bya
- The heavier elements of the solar system came from earlier super nova
- What became of the material left over from the sun's formation? formed rest of solar system (planets and asteroids).
- What became of Theia's heavier elements? sank into and added to the Earth's core
- What happened to a large portion of the Earth's crust after the collision with Theia? formed the moon
- Describe three outcomes for the earth due to the collision with Theia. Changed Earth’s axis to produce the large 23.5° axial tilt, may also have sped up Earth’s rotation and initiated plate tectonics.
- In your earth model, how many grams of clay did you use for the crust? 2 g
- Which layer of the Earth has the least volume? inner core
- Complete the table
Earth layer Composition Phase Crust silicate minerals solid mantle Fe-Mg silicate minerals plastic (liquid-like) outer core Fe and other elements thick liquid inner core metals such as Fe and Ni solid
- On the back of this paper record your answer to Sept 17th's warmup. Compare and contrast mixtures and pure substances.