Earth Formation, Structure and Minerals Test
- What is a nebula?
- What is a supernova?
- The heavy elements in the solar system originally came from ______________ .
- How old is the solar system? ______________
- What became of the solar nebula material left over from the sun's formation?
- What is the name of the planet that struck the Earth and caused the moon's formation? ______________
- About what was Theia's size? ____________________________
- How long ago did Theia hit the Earth? ______________
- What are the three results of Theia's impact on Earth?
- The Earth had heavy elements as did Theia. What became of those heavy elements in the Earth/ Moon system after the collision?
- What force of nature is responsible for the formation of the solar system? ______________
- Your notes state that "Each layer of the Earth can be characterized by its distinctive composition and physical properties." Describe the "physical properties".
- What is meant by "distinctive composition"?
- Which layer is capable of flow? ______________
- Which layer is a solid sphere? ______________
- If the inner core is hot enough to melt, why is it still a solid?
- What layer on the Earth is composed mostly of light elements? ______________
- What is the composition of the inner core? ______________
- Why did the elements of the Earth separate into layers?
- Normalize this set of data: 5, 10, 25.
- What is a mineral? (Remember there are four parts to this)
- Compare and contrast mineral and rock.
- An aggregate of two or more minerals is called a ______________ .
- Circle the physical property that is not one of the properties of minerals we study: color, streak, solubility, density, luster, cleavage, fracture, crystal form.
- The color of the powdered mineral is called its ______________ .
- The external form that a mineral has reflecting the orderly internal arrangement of its atoms is called ______________ .
Describe three or more physical mineral properties we use to identify minerals.
- Why isn't color a reliable identifier of mineral?
- What determines the hardness of a mineral?
- Contrast color and streak.
- What color is sulfur? ______________
- What could cause one piece of quartz to be milky colored and another to be pink?
- Name two tools used to test hardness.
- What is the luster of the mineral 1? ______________
- Estimate the hardness of the mineral 2. ______________. Explain your choice:
- Which has a greater specific gravity: Mineral 3 or mineral 4? ______________
- Describe the streak of mineral 5. ______________