Asarco's Unlikely Boon To The Environment
After reading the article "Asarco's unlikely boon to the environment" , answer these questions:
- In the context of the article, what are heavy metals?
- How many years did the Everett Asarco smelter operate?
- How much money has been allocated to clean-up the Everett smelter site and surrounding homes?
- Describe smelting.
- How long did it take people to realize there was arsenic and lead contamination in Everett?
- All together how many Everett house sites will need to be cleaned?
- Approximately how much money is spent yearly cleaning up the Hanford site?
- What might happen in 2090 at Hanford?
- What is high-level waste?
- If the price of copper hadn't risen, who would have had to pay for all the clean-up?