Earth 1st Quarter Practice Test Part 1 2012
- Seasons (ES2A) Explain and diagram how the Earth's orbit around the sun induces the seasons. Draw and label a diagram of the Earth's orbit around the sun during the year. Be sure to include these labels: December solstice, June solstice, September equinox, March equinox and the Earth's polar axis.
- Topography (ES2B) Explain the effects of topography on climate and climate patterns.
- Large bodies of water might be described as heat sponges. Contrast how that would affect the climates of Oak Harbor and Spokane. Focus on thermal energy and its role in climate.
- Sketch a parcel of air as it moves across the state from the Pacific Ocean to Spokane. At each stage, diagram and label your sketch to include what is happening to the air pressure, air temperature, air moisture and ground precipitation:
- Resources (ES2D) Name two Earth materials, describe their uses, and where they are found in WA state.
- Reaction Rates (PS2I) I can explain the role of temperature and pressure in mineral and rock formation.
- What can you learn about the cooling history of an igneous rock based on the size of its crystals?
- Explain how an "index" mineral can be useful for studying rocks.
- Systems (SYSB) I can explain the rock cycle system and its subsystems.
- Contrast mineral and rock
- Draw the rock cycle
- Systems (SYSB) Igneous subsystem:
- You can distinguish an igneous rock from other rock types by looking for ___.
- How are igneous rocks classified ?
- Diagram an igneous landscape. Be sure to label these features: granite, lava, magma, pluton, pumice, rhyolite, stratovolcano, vent.
- The composition of igneous rocks can be determined by looking at their ____.
- Complete the table showing the effects of magma composition:
Characteristics High silica & water magma Low silica & water magma Magma viscosity Eruptive violence Mafic or felsic Type of volcano
- Systems (SYSB) Sedimentary subsystem:
- Sedimentary rock can be divided into two types:
- Describe the three steps to form sediments:
- Describe the two steps of lithification
- Complete the table below for two sedimentary rock environments.
Environment Agents of transportation or precipitation Sediments Rock
- Systems (SYSB) Metamorphic subsystem:
- Describe how to recognize the two main texture groups of metamorphic rocks.
- Describe the three changes to rock that occur during metamorphism.
- Explain how "high grade" and "low grade" metamorphic rocks differ.
- Describe the agents (forces) that cause metamorphism.