Earth 1st Quarter Practice Test Part 1
- Resources (ES2D) Name two Earth materials, describe their uses, and where they are found in WA state.
- Reaction Rates (PS2I) I can explain the role of temperature and pressure in mineral and rock formation.
- What can you learn about the cooling history of an igneous rock based on the size of its crystals?
- Explain how an "index" mineral can be useful for studying rocks.
- Systems (SYSB) I can explain the rock cycle system and its subsystems.
- Contrast mineral and rock
- Draw the rock cycle
- Systems (SYSB) Igneous subsystem:
- You can distinguish an igneous rock from other rock types by looking for ___.
- How are igneous rocks classified ?
- Diagram an igneous landscape. Be sure to label these features: granite, lava, magma, pluton, pumice, rhyolite, stratovolcano, vent.
- The composition of igneous rocks can be determined by looking at their ____.
- Complete the table showing the effects of magma composition:
Characteristics High silica & water magma Low silica & water magma Magma viscosity Eruptive violence Mafic or felsic Type of volcano
- Systems (SYSB) Sedimentary subsystem:
- Sedimentary rock can be divided into two types:
- Describe the three steps to form sediments:
- Describe the two steps of lithification
- Complete the table below for two sedimentary rock environments.
Environment Agents of transportation or precipitation Sediments Rock
- Systems (SYSB) Metamorphic subsystem:
- Describe how to recognize the two main texture groups of metamorphic rocks.
- Describe the three changes to rock that occur during metamorphism.
- Explain how "high grade" and "low grade" metamorphic rocks differ.
- Describe the agents (forces) that cause metamorphism.